helps people win back their lives
Birmingham Embezzlement Lawyer
When a person uses their personal or professional position to take money from a company or individual, they can be charged with embezzlement. Depending on the nature of the charges, an individual can be charged with a misdemeanor or felony. Embezzlement is a very serious offense, and those convicted will face a plethora of even more serious legal penalties.
If you or someone you know has been convicted of embezzlement, it would be in your best interest to hire a Birmingham embezzlement lawyer. Embezzlement charges can be difficult to understand. However, with the help of an experienced fraud lawyer, you will have a better idea of what you have been charged with.Proving Embezzlement
Embezzlement comes in a variety of forms, but in the vast majority of cases, three conditions must be met. If a prosecutor can prove the following facts, the defendant can be convicted of embezzlement.
- The defendant held a position of power in which they were trusted to handle money or other types of assets.
- The defendant took or used the assets of the other person or entity without their permission.
- The defendant intended to keep the money or assets indefinitely.
When a person is charged with embezzlement, they should contact a Birmingham embezzlement lawyer if they do not want to be found guilty.Types of Embezzlement
As mentioned above, there are many different forms of embezzlement, some more serious than others. If a person is believed to have engaged in any of the actions below, they can be charged with embezzlement:
- Using company checks (or checks belonging to another person) to deposit nonexistent funds into a bank account
- Accepting direct payments from a vendor without notifying the proper department or person
- Falsifying time sheets (making it seem as if a person has worked more or less than they really have)
- Distributing unearned pay using a company payroll system
- Illegally taking money from a safe, cash register, or bank vault
- Transferring company funds into a personal bank account
If a person is accused of any of the acts above, they will need to work closely with a Birmingham embezzlement lawyer to clear their name. This can be difficult to do, but with a sound legal strategy, it is possible to get embezzlement charges reduced or dismissed.Potential Penalties
There are numerous penalties for embezzlement, and in general, the more money or property an individual embezzles, the more serious their punishment will be. Even in cases where a small amount of money or property was embezzled, the convicted individual can face felony charges. Depending on the circumstances of the case, convicted individuals can face penalties of imprisonment, fines, restitution, community service, and post-release supervision.Help from a Birmingham Embezzlement Lawyer
In the majority of cases, individuals with prior convictions will receive harsher penalties if convicted. Fortunately for accused individuals, hiring an experienced Birmingham embezzlement lawyer can help them fight the charges and defend their rights. During the trail, a defense attorney will attempt to find flaws in the logic of the prosecution. They will also attempt to find any relevant contradictions or questionably obtained evidence.
If you have been charged with embezzlement, you are probably feeling confused and overwhelmed. This is normal, but with the help of a Birmingham embezzlement lawyer, you can defend your rights and reputation in court. Our law firm knows how to handle embezzlement cases, and we will work hard on yours. Contact today to learn more.