helps people win back their lives
Michigan Gun Crimes Lawyer
Enshrined into the fabric of our nation by virtue of its appearance in the Bill of Rights, the Second Amendment's grant of a right to bear arms has never been free from controversy. With that said, each state is responsible for delineating the circumstances under which its citizens may purchase, hold, and use a broad range of firearms and other weapons.
Michigan is no exception, and its legislature has seen fit to impose a series of rules and regulations governing this expansive topic. Without question, gun rights in Michigan are not without limits, and it is important for everyone to understand the situations under which weapons charges can be lodged.
Whether you are facing a concealed weapons accusation or criminal charges for illegal felony possession of a firearm, a Michigan gun lawyer can help you navigate the complicated statutory terrain in order to secure the most positive outcome possible under the facts of your case. En Español.Firearms Charges
All Michiganders need to understand that gun ownership rights within the state are clearly defined and penalties will be imposed upon those convicted of running afoul of the law. The most commonly charged offenses in Michigan relating to guns include:
- Carrying of a concealed weapon
- Felon in possession of a firearm
- Illegal possession of certain prohibited types of short-barreled firearms
- Possession of a firearm while committing a felony
- Carrying a firearm in prohibited spaces, such as school zones
The Michigan Penal Code's firearms provisions are lengthy and indeed complex, particularly when considered with relevant federal firearms laws. Given the numerous ways in which a citizen can find themselves facing a gun charge in Michigan, it is important for everyone to fully grasp the possibly life-altering consequences of a conviction. Individuals found guilty of breaking Michigan or federal gun laws may face:
- Lengthy periods of incarceration
- Long-term inability to own a gun
- Imposition of exorbitant court costs and punitive fines
- Loss of professional license
- Loss of employment
- Lasting criminal record
- Damage to immigration status such as green card or visa revocation and perhaps even deportation
Though learning that a gun charge is pending against you can be a paralyzing experience, it is important to keep in mind that viable defenses are often available, and a skilled weapons attorney will work hard to formulate an effective strategy. Some common issues that can form the basis of such a defense can include:
- Actual intent in carrying the gun at issue
- Whether the weapon was loaded at the time in question
- Whether the weapon was in fact functional
- Actual knowledge about whether the gun was in an individual's personal possession
- Whether the individual was in fear of imminent harm at the relevant time
Considering the substantial penalties the state can impose upon those convicted of gun offenses, it is vital that accused individuals act promptly to secure the strongest possible legal defense.
If you would like to learn more about your rights and enlist the aid of a Michigan gun lawyer who will vigorously advocate on your behalf, contact us today.