helps people win back their lives
Birmingham Gun Lawyer
The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution was designed to safeguard the citizenry’s right to keep and bear arms, but that is not to say that the grant of this particular freedom is an unfettered one.
Individual states have a great deal of influence over the manner in which firearms may be bought, held and used within their borders, and lawmakers in Michigan have imposed a range of rules and restrictions in this realm. Violations of gun laws are never taken lightly, and the potential penalties for a conviction can be onerous.
If you are among those accused of running afoul of these statutes, a Birmingham gun lawyer can be your very best ally in preserving your constitutional rights as well as your freedom. Call today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. En Español.Gun Charges in Michigan
The ability to purchase and keep firearms within Michigan does have limits placed upon it, and it is important for everyone to understand the punishments that can be imposed on individuals found guilty of breaking the law. Commonly-lodged gun-related offenses within the state of Michigan include:
- Carrying firearms in school zones or other prohibited areas
- Carrying a concealed weapon, contrary to the provisions of Comp. Laws § 750.227
- Being a felon in possession of a firearm
- Illegally possessing prohibited classes of short-barreled firearms
- Possessing a firearm while also committing a felony offense
The right gun attorney in Birmingham can help you navigate these charges and determine the best strategy for building a strong defense in your favor.Potential Punishments for Michigan Gun Offenders
Gun laws in Michigan constitute a vast landscape of offense categories and potential sanctions, and they interact in often complex ways with federal firearms statutes.
Considering the variety of circumstances which could conceivably give rise to a firearm charge, it is vital that gun owners and others understand the lasting implications a gun charge conviction can have on their lives and those of their loved ones. Those who are convicted of violating Michigan and/or federal gun regulations may be subject to:
- Jail terms
- Costly fines and court-related fees
- Professional license revocation or denial
- Loss of gun ownership privileges
- Job loss
- Immigration difficulties, up to and including deportation
- Harmful social stigma
- Permanent criminal record which may preclude obtaining certain types of employment
When a gun charge has been filed or is known to be looming on the horizon, there is no room for delay. The truth of the matter is that a number of effective defense strategies may be available which can be further developed by a knowledgeable gun crimes lawyer in the Birmingham area.
Among the issues which must be carefully analyzed in order to formulate a strong case on a defendant’s behalf are:
- The actual intent at the time of the incident in question
- Whether the weapon was functional
- Whether the weapon contained ammunition
- Actual knowledge of the firearm’s whereabouts
- Whether there was a danger of imminent harm to the person accused of the offense
Anyone accused of a gun-related crime in Michigan owes it to themselves to explore all available avenues of legal defense. The stakes are simply too high to leave anything to chance. If you are interested in securing the help of a Birmingham gun lawyer who is committed to asserting your rights and protecting your future contact us today.