helps people win back their lives
Northville Domestic Violence Lawyer
When a person is accused of committing an act of physical or emotional violence against a member of their household or family, they can be charged with domestic violence. These charges are extremely serious, and if a person does not hire a Northville domestic violence lawyer to fight for their rights, they could end up facing jail time and other forms of restitution.
False allegations of domestic violence can be hard to overcome, but with the right legal strategy and an understanding of your charges, you can restore your life and good name. Contact an experienced defense attorney to learn more about the charges you are up against.Domestic Violence Charges
There are many different ways a person can be charged with domestic violence, but they all involve intimidating or taking advantage of another person.
If an individual is charged with any manner of domestic violence, they should contact a Northville domestic violence lawyer immediately. The following types of abuse can be categorized as domestic violence in many situations.
- Physical Abuse — Harming or inflicting pain or injury on another individual
- Emotional Abuse — Attempting to lower the self-esteem or self-worth of another person
- Sexual Abuse — Forcing another person to have sexual relations or contact against their will. It can also include making unwanted sexual statements to another person
- Stalking — Attempting to make unwanted contact with another person. Stalking can include following or making unwanted phone calls to another individual
- Psychological Abuse — Using threats or intimidation to control another person
If a person is accused of any of the acts above, they will need a Northville domestic violence attorney who can formulate a strong defense against the allegations of the accuser.Understanding False or Erroneous Allegations
Contrary to popular belief, an individual can be charged with domestic violence for a multitude of reasons. Not all accused individuals are guilty, and often, accusations are made to destroy the reputation or life of the accused person. Individuals often make false allegations of domestic violence for the following reasons:
- To gain leverage in child custody battles
- To punish a parent or guardian
- To tarnish the standing or reputation of a person
- To get revenge for an act the accuser interprets as wrong
If a person is falsely accused of domestic abuse, their entire life can hang in the balance. To defend against such malicious charges, the accused person should contact a Northville domestic violence lawyer with an established record of winning cases.Consequences of a Conviction
If a person is convicted of domestic abuse, their entire life can change for the worse. A conviction can result in jail time, a permanent criminal record, loss of voting privileges, loss of professional licensure, and public humiliation. With a domestic abuse conviction on their record, individuals can have immense difficulty finding employment, obtaining housing, and passing background checks.
If children are involved, they can even lose custody. Simply put, the stakes are too high to not hire a Northville domestic violence lawyer.Contacting a Northville Domestic Violence Attorney
If you have been accused of domestic violence, it is normal to feel angry, confused and overwhelmed. After all, such charges are serious, and they can have long-lasting consequences on your life if you are convicted.
For this reason, you should hire a Northville domestic violence lawyer if you have been accused of abusing a member of your household. Contact today to learn more.